Q: My car will not shift out of drive and into park - 1999 Hyundai Sonata

Will not shift out of drive into park. Change neutral safety switch. Checked all fuses. Will Not sift up to neutral, reverse or drive. Is currently in drive, will shift to drive 3 2 and 1. Wont shift to anything else. Last night I was playing around with the ignition and while turning the ignition, I was able to finally shift it up to neutral and reverse. So today, I changed out the neutral safety switch and now it's back to being in drive and not shift up to neutral, reverse or park. Try the trick I did last night and it won't work again to get it to go back to neutral. Tried resetting the eco by pulling the negative batter cable for 30 minutes. Hooked it back up and turned to ignition to the accessories position so all the lights came on but did not try to start. Left it sit that away to reset the ecu. Didn't have any effect on the problem. Please help

A: Hi. This sounds like the ignition switch ha...

Hi. This sounds like the ignition switch has a problem and is not allowing the car to go into park. If the ignition switch is not sending the signal to the neutral safety switch that the key is in the run position, it will not allow the shifter to move. It is also possible that the shift linkage is damaged and is causing the problem you have as well.

I suggest you have a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to determine why the car is not shifting properly and suggest the necessary repairs