Q: Smoke on start up

Just purchased. When I start it cold it bellows out a large cloud of smoke. White I think. Doesn't do it next time if motor still hot. It does not smoke when idling or seem to have other issues. No loud motor sounds. No oil on the floor.

A: Sometimes the muffler will hold some moistu...

Sometimes the muffler will hold some moisture when the exhaust cools from the day before. This moisture will evaporate quickly when you first start the engine in the morning and goes out the exhaust as steam. This is most likely normal. If you notice the engine is using excessive oil, coolant, or if the smoke isn't going away then have it inspected. In any of these cases, have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, diagnose the smoke firsthand for an accurate repair.