Q: Low coolant light keeps coming on

asked by on August 24, 2016

I had a coolant leak on my car, but I've got it repaired. However, each time I start the car, the dashboard would show the low coolant warning light on. Why does the light keep coming on?

Coolant Level Sensor Replacement $94.39 - $325.13 Get a Quote
Warning Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there, thanks for writing in about your 1994 Oldsmobile 98. To start, I would first visually check to confirm that the coolant level is actually staying at an appropriate level and the problem is really fixed. This can be confirmed visually: with the vehicle cold - look at the fluid level on the coolant overflow tank under the hood. The coolant level should be between "Min" and "Max", and at the same level each day before starting your vehicle.

It is also possible that the coolant level sensor has failed, or was not reconnected when the coolant leak was repaired. If you would like to have this looked at by another expert, a certified professional from YourMechanic can double check the work done and determine the cause of the Low Coolant Light.