Q: Should I replace my head gasket or just buy a new car?

asked by on August 03, 2017

I need to replace the head gasket on my 2006 Subaru B9 Tribeca - it would cost about $2,400 - It's not an urgent need but I have been made aware that it will need to be done in the next 3,000 miles or so. With the wear & tear on my car it's probably only worth about $3,000 - $3,500. I'd be interested in getting a car that's a bit more reliable and not as expensive to fix. Would it be a better financial decision to fix the head gasket and keep driving the Subaru? Or to trade in the Subaru and just get a new/used car?

Change Oil and Filter $92.33 - $165.78 Get a Quote
Transmission Fluid Service $125.08 - $496.65 Get a Quote
Rotate Tires Get a Quote

Unfortunately, this is a decision you would need to make on your own. As you know, a blown head gasket can be very expensive to fix no matter the vehicle. This is not specific to a Subaru necessarily. As you may know, on any vehicle, the amount of labor required to change a head gasket is very time consuming and tedious.

As with any car, the life expectancy depends largely on how you maintain the car, the driving conditions it is subjected to, the driving habits of the owner and many other factors. Proper maintenance schedules are a key factor to prolonging the longevity of the vehicle and avoiding unnecessary costly repair bills due to neglecting proper maintenance intervals. Things like oil changes, transmission fluid services, and tire rotations are all basic maintenance items that will drastically prolong the life of the vehicle and prevent premature wearing on parts. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at your car and come up with a routine maintenance schedule for your vehicle.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr