Q: Rear differential won't spin driveshaft, starts to turn then locks up.

Truck rolls in neutral, could it be bearings in rear differential? or u joints?

Could jacking the truck by rear axle cause this?

Hello. If the rear differential will not spin with the vehicle off of the ground, then it has an internal failure or there is a failure in one of the rear bearings. I usually disconnect the axles first to isolate if the issue is in the differential or in a bearing. If it still will not move when the axles are disconnected then the differential needs to be rebuilt or replaced. If you want to have this locked up differential checked out, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to determine why it is locking up so that this can be resolved.

3. Rear differential won't spin driveshaft, starts to turn then locks up.