Is it possible to change the gear shifter on 2016 Acura T...

Q: Is it possible to change the gear shifter on 2016 Acura TLX?

asked by on May 25, 2017

Wanted to find out if it is possible to change gear shifter to something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-2008-ACURA-TL-TL-S-OEM-GEAR-SELECTOR-SHIFTER-ASSEMBLY-USED-04-08-/182580129212?hash=item2a829fadbc. I would prefer to adjust the gears on the gear selector, instead of the paddle shifters.

Unfortunately I can’t give you a definitive yes or no answer. There’s a saying when it comes to modifying vehicles: Anything can be done if your pockets are deep enough. Off the top of my head I would say it would not be an easy or inexpensive task. The shifter you linked is for a 2004-2008 Acura TL / TL-S. Odds are high that your 2016 TL-X is wired and programmed much differently. If your vehicle only has paddle-type shifters and no manual option at the shifter mechanism itself, then in all likelihood, there is no wiring, sensor input, or programming in the transmission control module to even receive manual shift input from the shifter lever. It may require an extensive knowledge of Acura’s wiring and programming of the transmission control module. Your best chance for information may be to search different enthusiasts forums and anyone specializing in modifying Acuras. There may be others out there that may have tried and/or succeeded in doing what you are looking to do and can provide a wealth of information.