Q: Is it bad to drive without the trans filter?

Have a trans that has an issue shifting from first to second and bucks. Filter gets clogged and doesn't allow fluid to flow through. I also already know the trans needs to be rebuilt but I need to get it about 100 miles away.

Hi There, As you may know, a transmission requires hydraulic pressure generated by the transmission fluid, which forces the fluid into the valve body. When this happens, it activates a shift solenoid that engages the next gear. When the fluid is restricted due to a clogged filter or any other reason, this will cause problems with shifting. The job of the transmission filter is to collect excess debris that may otherwise cause damage to the valve body and other internal parts. You may run the risk of damaging the transmission further by driving without the transmission filter. I would suggest having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your transmission.

3. Is it bad to drive without the trans filter?