Q: Signal lights quit working, shifter can't move

The signal lights quit working on my car. I had the fuses checked. Some of them weren't giving a reading in their slots. I had them placed into other slots, which showed they were working properly. Bulbs are working fine as are the park light and flashers. Other than the lights issue, my shifter seems to be stuck and cannot go into any gear. What should I do?

Hi. We will be happy to assist you. More than likely the wiring inside of the fuse box specifically the connectors where the fuses were blown have lost contact or melted. This is very common on your make and model of Mercury, and happens to Ford vehicles as well. A technician would be able to test the circuit with a test light and multimeter. The brake signal and transmission shift lock fuse are integrated to the same circuit. If the brake signal has a circuit fault it will cause the transmission to become stuck in gear. I suggest that your brake light sensor above the brake pedal is checked as well for good connections.

3. Signal lights quit working, shifter can't move