Q: Acura Shift Lock Solenoid

asked by on November 17, 2016

I have a faulty shift lock solenoid and I had to continuously depress the button to shift gears. I was told to avoid the tedious trouble of always depressing the button and that i could put a stopper down the void and keep the lock always depressed. I did this and put the small cover over the stopper which in turn keeps the lock button depressed. Worked out great and simple to shift like it was never broken. But will this have any negative affect on my transmission? Or any other components? Im somewhat mechanically inclined and cant see why it would but I would like your advice. I do most of my maintenance myself (what i can that is) Acura dealers charge alot of money to even look at the car. And if this quick fix is going to cause me more of a problem i dont need that extra expense right now. Thank you so so much~Jordan

Shift Interlock Solenoid Replacement $96.05 - $1115.92 Get a Quote

Of course the shift lock is there for your safety. So anything you do to override it means you wont be protected from shifting into gear by accident. In that respect it may be better for you to push the button every time, a very deliberate act. I don’t think you’re doing any damage to your transmission by jamming something in there. But you could jam up the shift linkage if something breaks off in there. I do wonder about your brake lights however. The brake light circuit is usually what activates the solenoid, so it could be that there is a problem with the brake light switch and that is what is preventing the shift lock from disengaging. Have a friend watch the back of the car while you step on the brake pedal to make sure the brake lights are working. If you decide you want to get it fixed properly, Contact Your Mechanic. They can send a technician to your home or office to Fix your Shift Lock right there on the spot.