Q: Seat broke now I can’t see out the windshield

I never realized how hazardous not being able to adjust the driver’s seat’s height or position would be until the switches in my 2007 Ford Explorer went out. Now I am far too low to the floor of the vehicle and my wife can barely see over the steering wheel! The vehicle has 145,000 miles on it, but I never thought of how long I could go before getting new seats. I assumed you couldn’t go wrong with what are basically chairs in a very technical, modern vehicle! Is this an electrical issue or do I need a new seat (or both)?

A: The seats on some older Ford Explorers were...

The seats on some older Ford Explorers were not computer module controlled and not as problematic. However, your vehicle has computer module controlled seats which can be scanned to determine why your seat will not move. YourMechanic can scan the computer and diagnose your non-functional power seats for any codes received to direct the proper repair without a complete seat replacement. One of the problems your vehicle may have are binding gears in the drive under the seat which can be fixed with replacement parts. The other issue is the control switches not sending signals to the module. If you have no noise or movement in any direction for either seat, then you may have something simple like a blown fuse or a module issue. Proper diagnosis will have to be done to narrow the problem down.