Q: Rough idling, engine shuts off

Recently, my car has been idling roughly. Then, it would just shut off. This happens out of the blue and there are no warnings whatsoever. The dash isn't showing any lights on. What could cause this?

A: Hey there, thanks for writing in about your...

Hey there, thanks for writing in about your 2005 Buick Rainier. This could be a variety of possibilities, but what you are describing sounds like a faulty O2 sensor. The O2 sensor relays information about the air/fuel mixture to your car’s computer and the computer makes modifications to this mixture continuously. If this sensor is faulty, it will cause inaccurate information to be relayed to the computer and therefore inaccurate adjustments to be made to the air/fuel mixture resulting in a rough idle. To be sure, I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come out to your car’s location to diagnose the rough idling problem and help you move forward with repairs.