Q: Reverse lights engage in third gear

The Reverse lights engage in third gear instead of reverse. Someone told me the Neutral Safety Switch needs to be fixed.

A: Hello. The person you spoke with is pretty ...

Hello. The person you spoke with is pretty close to knowing what the vehicle needs. Most of the time, this is caused by the transmission position switch. It is located on the transmission. If it has an internal short, then it will send the light signal in the wrong direction. It can also be a wiring problem but that is not as common. A mechanic would test the wiring coming from the switch so that he could determine if the switch is bad. If you need further assistance, I recommend you have a mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, inspect the shifting issue and replace any damaged components.