Q: Replaced starter, car still not starting up.

Just put in a new starter and I have to push the gas pedal just to get it running.

A: Hi, thanks for writing in. I'd be happy...

Hi, thanks for writing in. I'd be happy to help. This could be due to a variety of issues.

It sounds like the car eventually starts, which is a good sign that you have fuel and spark, which means the issue is likely related to maintaining the proper air/fuel ratio and supply. There are a couple of things that control this.

1) The mass airflow sensor is something that monitors the air intake as it is mixed with fuel prior to being injected into the motor. When this is faulty, it can cause the car to stall or run very intermittently.

2) The idle air control valve does something similar in that it monitors the air intake at idle speed as it is mixed with fuel at lower engine speeds and helps to maintain a proper idle speed by relaying air intake info to the car's computer which then uses this to control timing and fuel supply. When this is not working correctly, this can also cause the symptoms you describe.

If you would like help inspecting your vehicle, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to look at your car for you and make a diagnosis, and perform or suggest any repairs as needed.