Q: Rattling sound while accelerating - 2007 Nissan Maxima

My car started making a rattling sound while driving at rpm 1.5 to 3 when im pressing the accelerator. It stops whenever i let off or am in park. I only use 93 gas however a month ago a relative used my car and filled it up with regular. I have no lights on my dash but since the sound my power has gone down, it doesnt go as fast, and i have to actually press the pedal hard for the speed to jus get to 60.

A: Hello. Most of the time, when you get this ...

Hello. Most of the time, when you get this noise with this car accompanied with a loss of power, it is because the catalytic converter is failing, or the timing chain may be ready to fail. Both of these will cause this to occur.

I usually check the catalytic converter first to see if there are pieces breaking off internally or to see if there is excessive back pressure in the exhaust. If there is, then that is the problem. If not, then I check the timing chain to see if it is worn out and failing. If you need to have this fixed, consider YourMechanic, as a certified technician can come to your home or office to diagnose this rattling noise.