Q: Rain leaks in until puddles form

My 2006 Ford Mustang is really starting to stink. My car is at 54,000 miles now and for the last few months water has been getting in every time it rains. Now the water is enough to form little puddles on the floor of the vehicle under the dashboard. Not happy with this one bit, and my car smells like socks now. How can I fix this problem and could the water be doing any damage in there?

A: As far as the exact cause of the leak, it s...

As far as the exact cause of the leak, it sounds like it could be any one of a few problems: the weatherstripping on the front door window/pillar seal could be damaged, the grommets at the bottom of the front windshield/cowel area under wiper blades could be letting the water in or the outside drain holes under the cowel may be clogged with debris.

Water leaks can be very difficult to diagnose but on your 2006 Ford Mustang there has been enough documentation that Ford has updated the Technical Service Bulletin on this water leak condition three times (2007 TSB 07-14-6, Dec. 2008 TSB 08-26-07, May 2009 TSB 08-26-07).

Unfortunately, by the time this leak is repaired, the water usually does affect the carpet and floorboard of your car. Sometimes, your vehicle’s electrical wiring can also be damaged by a leak.

A certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, can diagnose the cause of your leak and perform any repairs necessary to stop water from getting in the car.

Once the repair is completed, the inside can be dried and the carpets can be cleaned to remove any odors left over.