Hi, I recently bought a pickup a couple of months ago and have some question about the oil. So I checked the oil, after letting the truck sit for an hour, and it was at the bottom of the operating range. I went out bought some synthetic 5w-30. This leads to my first question. I do not know if the oil in the truck is synthetic, or regular. Does it produce harm if i use synthetic and the oil already in the engine is regular? Anyways, Then i checked the oil again, after letting the truck sit for about half an hour, the oil was a little above the operating range.
Going off of what I saw before, i decided to put about half a quart in to make sure. Went back out a half an hour later, and the oil level was still a little above operating range. Did i do something wrong at all? Will this hurt the engine/ is it safe to drive without causing harm to the engine? And last question, what is the wrong that can happen if the oil is below or over the designated oil level range?
My car has 235000 miles.
My car has an automatic transmission.
As you may know, there are a multitude of engine oils on the market all claiming to be the "best" and prolonging the life of your car’s engine. One of the main questions you will be asked when changing your oil is whether or not you want a conventional oil or a synthetic oil. Synthetic vs conventional oil is one of the most debated myths surrounding the topic of oil changes. Contrary to popular belief, it will not hurt your engine when switching from synthetic to conventional or vice versa. In fact, Synthetic blend oils are actually a mix of conventional oils and synthetic oils. It is recommended that you use the same oil to top off when needed, giving you the best protection from the oil you have chosen to use in your vehicle. Many synthetic oils are made up of a base oil of approximately 80%, with other additives making up the remaining 20%. The main difference between the molecules in synthetically engineered oils and conventional oils are the uniformity of the molecules. The molecules found in most conventional oils differ in shape, size and impurity. The type of oil that should be used for a specific application depends largely on the driver’s driving habits, the environment in which the car is driven, the mileage on the car’s engine and the limits that the engine may be pushed to.
The other question you will need to answer when changing your oil is the kind of viscosity your engine requires. Viscosity is the thickness of the oil at certain temperatures. Generally, when the weather is colder outside you will want a thinner oil to allow the oil to flow easier through the motor allowing it to properly lubricate parts. When the weather is hotter outside, you will want a thicker oil to prevent it from what is called “thermal breakdown” and to keep it layering the internal engine parts with the proper lubrication. I would recommend having an expert from Your Mechanic come to your home to perform an oil change service on your car to determine the best option for your vehicle.
Have a car question? Get free advice from our top-rated mechanics.
Our certified mechanics come to you ・Backed by 12-month, 12,000-mile guarantee・Fair and transparent pricing