Q: Possibly timing. 1998 Saturn SL2

Recently I've run into a no start on my 98 Saturn Sl2. To begin troubleshooting I went right on with the main 4: power,fuel,compression,spark. All of these have been ruled as good. My brain is fried after a week of trying to find the problem, without having it towed to a shop. I pulled the plugs and turned the engine by hand last night, and half the turn was easily achieved while the other half was fairly rough. I've been told when hand turning with the plugs pulled that the entire revolution should be achieved with ease. Could my timing have jumped without me realising? Perhaps causing massive damage to the engine?

Hi there - yes, it is possible that the engine has "jumped time". This engine is known for timing chain stretch, and jumping time with higher mileage. If you have spark, fuel injectors spraying, and compression, this could be the problem. I would expect a Check Engine condition to exist in most cases. If not - double check fuses and relays (fuel pump especially). For assistance, I would recommend an engine inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. Possibly timing. 1998 Saturn SL2