Q: Advice on using Lucas products

My car has around 150,000 miles. As the car is old as it is, I was wondering if the products such as Lucas transmission fix and fuel cleaner would improve the car performance. I also thought about using the throttle cleaner. What do you think about these products? Is there a possibility that these could damage the car in any way?

Hello there, thanks for writing in about your 1993 Chrysler LeBaron V6-3.0L. You are correct that fuel can gum up and the oil can form a varnish which coats parts of the engine over time. The best method for cleaning the throttle body is removing it from the vehicle and using a cleaner to remove the varnish. This is usually left to a professional.

If the throttle body is cleaned incorrectly then it can become damaged. Fuel system cleaners that are run through the tank have arguments both ways as far as the usefulness. The most common fuel system cleaner in my experience would be SeaFoam. These cleaners can help in some scenarios and not in others. A qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to assist with what would be the best treatment for your particular situation.