Q: Serpentine belt

My car has 127,000 miles we were told we needed new cerpintine (not sure of spelling) belts so we had two replaced for over $300. Now the car makes a very loud whining noise when we start it, I called the mechanic and they said it could be the pully. Is this right? Or did they put the wrong belt size in? The car never made this noise before.

Hi There, It sounds like the serpentine belt tensioner pulley may be incorrectly adjusted or potentially worn out. The tensioner pulley is a pulley that allows the tension of the belt to be adjusted. This pulley has a bearing inside that spins as the belt turns allowing it to spin freely. When this bearing begins to wear out, this may cause the pulley to produce a whining sound as you describe. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and repair your vehicle.

3. Serpentine belt