Q: Original (Panasonic) battery on 2009 Corolla (purchased in 2008) with 43,434 miles.

I still have the original battery in my 2009 (purchased in October 2008) Toyota Corolla; the car has 43,434 miles on it. It is a Japan built vehicle; the battery is a "maintenance free" type Panasonic. I live in on the coast of Massachusetts. I was told by the Dealership to replace it 3 or 4 years ago! Is this unusual to have a battery last that long?

Most batteries only last 3 to 5 years before they fail. You are on borrowed time for the last 3 or 4 years. If you suspect the battery is getting weak or are looking to replace it before the cold winter (getting stranded is possible with dead battery), make sure you replace the battery with a high quality battery. Some of the cheaper batteries on the market will not last 2 or 3 years. If you select the higher line batteries they should last 3 to 5 years or more. Then again, you may want to just get the battery you have tested and connections cleaned to see if it passes load testing and stay on borrowed time.

• Original (Panasonic) battery on 2009 Corolla (purchased in 2008) with 43,434 miles.