Q: Conventional oil vs. synthetic oil?

I have a 99 silverado 1500 4.8l with 85000 miles, can I switch or is it safe to switch to synthetic oil at this point?

Hello. It is safe to switch over to synthetic oil if that is what you wish to do. It is just not a good idea to switch back and forth from synthetic to conventional oil as this can cause leaks and other problems with your oil pressure. If you want to use full synthetic oil you must use full synthetic oil for the remainder of the vehicle’s life or at least for as long of a time as you used the conventional oil. It is also not a good idea to switch to synthetic oil if you are currently leaking oil as this could accelerate the leak. If you’re having any oil leaks, I would recommend enlisting the assistance of a qualified professional to have the car repaired. A technician from YourMechanic can change your car’s oil at the convenience of your home or office.