Q: Oil filter

I saw a very very small spot of oil on my oil filter after I tightened the oil filter as tight as I could possibly tighten it by hand... I can not see oil coming from anywhere except coming down the oil filter what could this be from?

A: Conventional spin on oil filters have a tig...

Conventional spin on oil filters have a tightening limit, typically no more than one full turn (often less), once the gasket just touches the block mount. If you tighten past that point, the case seal could leak. If after looking at the filter case (housing), you see oil leaking, the only solution is to remove the filter and install a new one. It is not recommended to leave a leaking filter in place even if the leak looks minor. It will never seal, it can't be "tightened" any further, and it will be a continuing problem until the next filter change. An issue of course is the leak could result in the oil level be slowly drawn down while you are unaware, which of course is not a good thing. If you have other concerns or maintenance needs, please consider YourMechanic.