Q: Power steering went out completely

The power steering in my van is messed up. I just had the serpentine belt and power steering pump pulley replaced. My van is not holding any power steering fluid. When I put it in, it just starts burning, and the whole front end starts smoking really bad, and all you can smell is the power steering fluid burning up. Recently, the brand new pulley came off and my power steering went completely out.

Hi there. You might have a blown high pressure hose from the pump to the steering rack. The fluid is getting onto the exhaust system and may pose a fire hazard. I recommend you do not drive the vehicle, for safety reasons, until you have the leak fixed. I recommend you have a mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, inspect your power steering system’s leak to make sure what the cause of the failure is.

3. Power steering went out completely