Q: Noticed rubbing noise from transmission after replacing bearings and lug studs.

Just had my wheel bearings and lug nut studs replaced yesterday. During figure 8 tests the mechanic and I noticed a rubbing noise from what sounds like the transmission. Any ideas?

Hello. This is tough to diagnose without hearing the sound specifically, as the transmission should not be rubbing on any other components in the vehicle. I would recommend checking the driveline components to be sure there are no loose or worn U-joints, as this could potentially create a rubbing sound. Also, check to be sure all motor and transmission mounts are properly tightened. Although unlikely, a loose transmission mount could potentially create a sound like that. For a second opinion on the car, consider YourMechanic, as a certified technician will be able to come to your home or office to diagnose the sound and pinpoint the problem.

• Noticed rubbing noise from transmission after replacing bearings and lug studs.