Q: Noticed rubbing noise from transmission after replacing bearings and lug studs.

asked by on September 12, 2016

Just had my wheel bearings and lug nut studs replaced yesterday. During figure 8 tests the mechanic and I noticed a rubbing noise from what sounds like the transmission. Any ideas?

Car is making a noise Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hello. This is tough to diagnose without hearing the sound specifically, as the transmission should not be rubbing on any other components in the vehicle. I would recommend checking the driveline components to be sure there are no loose or worn U-joints, as this could potentially create a rubbing sound. Also, check to be sure all motor and transmission mounts are properly tightened. Although unlikely, a loose transmission mount could potentially create a sound like that. For a second opinion on the car, consider YourMechanic, as a certified technician will be able to come to your home or office to diagnose the sound and pinpoint the problem.