Q: No reverse in transmission 1997 Chevrolet Express Van 1500

asked by on November 28, 2016

Lost reverse in transmission. All forward gears work without slippage. Also downshift is fine. Reverse acts as neutral. Transmission fluid not leaking and has no burn smell. Been driving vehicle for a couple of months without reverse and haven't noticed any decline in any forward gears. Am able to shift all forward gears manually and they're all there. Only reverse gone. I'm thinking it's possible that the problem is a valve. Either the reverse boost or body valve? Thanks

My car has an automatic transmission.1997 Chevrolet Express 1500 5.7l 4l60e transmission

Hello - I believe you have a failure in the reverse input clutch in the transmission. This could be caused by several components in this clutch, all of which will require removal and disassembly of the transmission to repair. To confirm this diagnosis, I recommend a transmission inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.