Q: needle on temp gage keeps raising

Just recently had my radiator replaced but the temp gage will go up to h and then drop back down to the half way point on the temp gage. There are no antifreeze leaks, and engine coolant light does not come on. However, there is a smell of antifreeze when the AC or heater when turned on.

If you detect the odor of engine coolant, there is likely to be a leak. The leak could be really tiny, as the sense of smell is very good in most people. The heater core, in the dash, can leak (thus potentially accounting for the odor you detect in the car) but if the leak is under the hood, the odor can also travel into the passenger compartment. If the heater core (or any cooling system component for that matter) is leaking, don’t wait to fix that because if the small leak suddenly enlarges, you’ll have a huge mess in the interior of the vehicle, plus you could be stranded due to loss of coolant and subsequent overheating. As far as the engine overheating, a gauge malfunction should be ruled out first, that is you have to distinguish between "real" overheating versus just a faulty gauge indication. If the overheating is confirmed to be real, common causes of overheating, apart from a plugged or leaking radiator which you already dealt with, include low coolant level (including that due to leaks), a faulty thermostat, a faulty radiator pressure cap, collapsed hoses, non functioning cooling fans, and a faulty water pump or drive belt. Certain engine faults, such as a leaking head gasket, poor engine running condition or exhaust blockages can also cause overheating. An important thing to keep in mind is once an engine has overheated, you should replace your engine cooling thermostat because episodes of overheating can damage the thermostat. If the thermostat is damaged, and left in place, that can set the stage for future overheating. If you desire that this overheating problem, as well as the potential coolant leak, be diagnosed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request an engine overheating diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get all of this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. needle on temp gage keeps raising