Q: Noise in the rear brakes, is it dangerous?

For the last couple thousand miles, the rear brakes on my 2012 Chevrolet Cruze have been making a lot of rough noise which is somewhere between shaking and squeaking. The noise is really annoying and I'm worried that the braking may not be as good as it was before this started. The car just passed 20,000 miles, so it’s fairly new. What part is causing this to happen in both of the rear wheels?

Strange noises are always concerning on a vehicle, but especially so when the noise you hear is coming from your brakes. With the limited information provided, it is difficult to determine exactly what is causing the noise without hearing it. I did a little research on your noise issue and I do see a handful of other owners with a similar concern so it is most certainly something that I would recommend looking into with a certified technician. Because the fixes for this problem vary so greatly, and because there are so many variables that go into brakes, it is difficult to narrow the problem down without inspecting the vehicle first hand. Brake concerns can occur with both rear disc and drum brakes. I recommend having a certified professional inspect your braking system to determine which part, or parts, is causing the brake noise.

3. Noise in the rear brakes, is it dangerous?