Q: My van is a custom conversion van, with LOW “Ground Effects” - what kind of jack will prevent damage.

asked by on February 21, 2018

Hello - my question is about the JACK that the mechanic uses. My van is a conversion van, it has LOW GROUND EFFECTS - fiberglass that sticks out, past the body. It’s very important that the jack does not damage or crack the fiberglass.

Additional ground clearance, if required for any floor jacks, can be gained by driving the vehicle onto a very gradual ramp. Typically, ordinary 2 by 10’s (ordinary framing lumber) is used for this purpose (designs vary, but it is easy to arrange). In most cases, ramps are not necessary as mechanics have ultra low profile jacks. If you have a repair scheduled with YourMechanic, any special accommodation can and will be arranged to ensure that your vehicle is protected from damage. You also have the option of creating the ramp yourself for future use. If you wish to schedule a particular service, please select from the comprehensive list of services at YourMechanic’s List of Repair and Diagnostic Services page. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.