Q: Could bad or contaminated gasoline damage an ignition coil?

I was traveling and was nearly out of gas, so I purchased some mid-grade gasoline at a 7:11 store. Within minutes of filling up, my car engine began to tremble and misfire, like it was about to stall out.

Hi there. Although bad or contaminated fuel can cause drivability concerns, it cannot physically damage the ignition coil. Ignition coils convey extremely high voltages with magnetic fields controlling them. Over time, coils simply wear out without warning; some with warning, but rare. A common automotive ignition coil can produce upwards of 30,000 volts; quite a load to handle. I suggest having a qualified technician perform an inspection to avoid replacing unnecessary parts. Your Mechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with an engine is misfiring inspection.

3. Could bad or contaminated gasoline damage an ignition coil?