Q: Cricket sound/like tea kettle ready to go off-kinda whistle like

my vehicle makes this obnoxious sound when I start it up and drive around town....it also makes the same sound when I drive past 55 too. it makes me think it is a belt or something. I got the serpentine belt changed, coolant flush, and put new water pump in ( all needed to be done anyway) thinking that would make the sound go away, but it has not. I still hear the sound even on the same day he put a new water-pump in. I'm a woman-very tired of the sound-its embarrassing! my mechanic thinks I need to just deal with it- because my behicle will not break down if I go on a long trip because of the sound. He thinks it is drivable and would not put the money into fixing it..I am not sure that he really knows what the problem is...but like most husbands, they might rather say,"if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" please tell me what to fix on my vehicle so that stupid sound will go away and stop annoying me!

A: Hello. Since it’s not possible for me to he...

Hello. Since it’s not possible for me to hear the noise directly, I suggest the following to help narrow down the possibilities. Lets try to narrow down things that make the noise better/worse, or make the noise move. Different problems have different symptoms. A power steering pump problem, even low fluid in the PS, can whine something terrible, especially when turning the vehicle. A bearing (fan belt idler pulley, alternator pulley, etc.) can make screeching or whining noises. A "hissing or tea-kettle" noise could come from a coolant leak - but you should see steam, and lose coolant over time. An air leak around a window or door can make hissing or roaring sounds, which will often go away when the window is cracked or rolled down, and it will change with speed. Does the sound happen when the engine is running, even if the car is not yet moving? Does the sound vary with your speed - you mention both "around town" and "above 55". If anything you do while driving makes it worse (or better), that is a clue to solve the problem. Your car will tell you many things, we just have to listen, and sometimes feel what it is doing. If you would like to have another mechanic take a look, consider YourMechanic, as a certified technician can come to your home or office to inspect the sound and pinpoint any repairs needed.