Q: My truck is stuck in park

My truck won't go into gear. The ABS and traction control lights are lit up. The truck starts up, but it won't come out of park. What could this be?

A: It sounds like you are having a problem wit...

It sounds like you are having a problem with your shift interlock. This system is designed to prevent the transmission from being put into gear unless the brake is applied. When the brake is depressed, the brake switch closes, energizing the interlock solenoid and allowing the vehicle to come off of park.

There is an emergency release button located near the shifter assembly. Pop the cover off the button and push down on it with a screwdriver to get the vehicle out of park. This is, of course, a work around. With your vehicle, the root cause of the problem is often a blown brake light fuse. This is a 10 amp fuse, located under the driver's side dash. If this does not fix your problem, or if the fuse continues to blow after a new one is installed, I suggest you have a trained professional diagnose your gear problem and repair your vehicle.