Q: Air bag warning randomly comes on and off

I need some advice on how to fix the issue I've been having with the air bag system in my car. The air bag warning becomes illuminated randomly. Then it would go off. It would suddenly come on again. The system was recalibrated but it didn't solve the issue. Why is this happening? Should I be concerned about safety? Thank you.

A: It sounds like your air bag control module ...

It sounds like your air bag control module may be having some faults. I would recommend having your air bag module tested for proper function by a certified technician who has experience handling air bags. As for your safety, this is more of an opinionated issue. If you feel safer in an accident with just a seatbelt, the air bag light will not make you unsafe. If you feel that if you were involved in an accident that you would like the support of the supplemental restraint system, this may cause a safety concern. Many people are opposed to air bags due to the fact that they hit you in the face with hard impact. However, air bags have been shown to reduce injury in larger accidents.

It is still a good idea either way to have the air bag light diagnosed and repaired as soon as possible simply to have your vehicle performing in the way that the manufacturer intended it to.