Q: My transmission smells like a burnt cake

So I took off my radiator today to replace it and while disconnecting the transmission line I noticed the coolant smelled burnt but also maintained a red glow. My transmission shifts hard quite often. Should I flush the fluid? Just change it? Replace the transmission filter?

A: Hello, thank you for writing in. It sounds ...

Hello, thank you for writing in. It sounds like the engine and transmission have either gotten pretty hot or it is possible that the transmission cooler was leaking into the cooling system. If the coolant and transmission fluid both smelled fairly burnt then I would change the fluid completely in both. If you need to have your coolant and transmission fluid serviced, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to replace these fluids.