Q: My temperature gauge keeps making it look like my car is overheating the temperature gauge moves up to the red. I already changed the thermometer

asked by on November 09, 2016

I just changed the thermostat on my 2004 Ford Focus because my car was overheating it still acts like it does what else could the problem be could it be the sensor or what my temp gauge after driving it for awhile and only happens every so often that the gauge will move up to the red please help

Cooling/Radiator Fan Motor Replacement $120.68 - $1412.28 Get a Quote
Coolant Temperature Switch (Sensor) Replacement $88.56 - $354.95 Get a Quote
Car is running hotter than normal Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hey there. Your cooling system consists of several components. Thermostat, radiator, heater core, and water pump are just a few. Since the thermostat has been replaced, it is more than likely not the cause of the engine running hot. If any part of the cooling system like the radiator or heater are clogged, coolant will not circulate thought the system properly.

If the water pump is damaged internally - the impeller separated from the shaft or fell apart - this also could cause the coolant flow to be stopped. Other cooling system components, such as a bad radiator fan motor, relay, or coolant temperature sensor which sends a signal to the radiator fan to turn on can be at fault. Also, a leaking head gasket can cause the engine to run hot. Have a certified technician diagnose the running hot condition before replacing parts that may not solve the problem as that can become costly.