Q: my oil pressure light is on, there is a clanking noise, and when the car is running it will rev up but not move

my oil pressure light is on, there is a clanking noise, and when the car is running it will rev up but not move. ive had someone look at it and they say it could be an oil pump. just want a second opinion

If the oil pressure light is on, it is best not to run the engine. If the warning light really reflects low pressure, then there is inadequate oil to the engine bearings and other parts. A quick test using a pressure gauge can confirm pressure. Oil pressure can be low due to a faulty pump or increased clearances in the main and rod bearings due to bearing wear or, and this is often the case, a combination of the two factors. If the pressure is low due to bearing wear, the only solution is to rebuild the engine. If there is already noise, that might be your only option. Sometimes, using higher viscosity oil can resolve the issue temporarily but if you have significant noise thicker oil might not help. If you intend to rebuild the engine anyway, putting in a new oil pump is a harmless experiment because you must install a new pump when you rebuild your engine (or rebuild your old pump - they are usually rebuildable). To learn of your full slate of repair options and to also get a conclusive diagnostic as to the pressure and the noise, please request an oil pressure diagnostic. If you request that service, the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.

3. my oil pressure light is on, there is a clanking noise, and when the car is running it will rev up but not move