Q: My cooling fan won't turn on when I turn the ac on. Relays and fuses are good, tested the fan with the battery and it came on??

My cooling fan won't turn on when I turn the ac on. And when I do turn my ac on the car seems to get hotter..it had reached 230°f at one point, but I got no lights saying it overheated, and I never let it go higher to see. Now running tests with the car in park and I can't get it to go past the normal temp, about 198°f for my 08 hhr. But the fan still isn't coming on at normal temps either. We did replace the fan, used, and after we did that the ac clutch quite making noise, but still movement. The relay clicks when we put 12vts to it. And the fan works off the battery. All the fuses look good as well. Help me please!

Hi there. In general, a situation like this occurs when either the thermostat housing or temperature sensor is not relaying the information to the fan motor to activate. However, it’s also possible that there is some electrical short within the cooling system relay’s that is causing the fan motor to not activate when it should. I think the best way to determine the precise source of this problem is to have a professional mechanic come to your location to complete an onsite inspection so they can test all systems to help isolate the root problem and recommend the right repairs.

3. My cooling fan won't turn on when I turn the ac on. Relays and fuses are good, tested the fan with the battery and it came on??