Q: My car won't turn over and start after i got a new key on a 2001 Chevy lumina

I lost my keys that have a chip in it for a 2001 Chevy lumina got new keys the battery turns on but the car won't start what is going on?

This vehicle is equipped with a VATS System and so there are 15 different keys. Are you sure that you were given the correct key? You can try to get the car to "recognize" the new key that you have by using this procedure: Step 1 – Attempt to start the vehicle. It will crank, but not run. The security light will be flashing on and off. Leave the key in the ‘run’ position for exactly 10 minutes, then the security light will stay solid or go off. Step 2 – Turn the key to the ‘off’ position for 10 seconds. Attempt to start the vehicle. Some vehicles will run at this point, although many will require that you repeat Step 1 two more times. Make sure you turn the key to the ‘off’ position for 10 seconds before each 10 minute cycle. Step 3 – The vehicle is now ready to relearn the proper code. Turn the key ‘off’ for 10 seconds and then ‘crank’ the vehicle. It should be running now. The security light might stay on solid for several minutes afterwards, depending on your system. If this procedure does not work, call YourMechanic at 844-249-6752 and a certified mechanic will be dispatched to resolve this. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. My car won't turn over and start after i got a new key on a 2001 Chevy lumina