Q: What does the Door Open indicator mean on the dash?

asked by on December 15, 2015

What does the Door Open indicator mean on the dash?

Your car is equipped with sensors on each door, as well as the trunk. Their point is to ensure that you know when a door isn’t shut properly, so you can close it before you begin driving. Driving with a door that’s not properly closed can be very dangerous. Driving with the trunk open can also be dangerous, as it can allow carbon monoxide from the exhaust into the car’s cabin. Here’s what the light means:

1. When you crank the engine, the Door Open light will come on for a very brief period. It will then turn off.

2. If any door is not closed, it will come on and stay on.

3. If a door is open while driving, the light will come on and you’ll also hear a beeping alarm. Close the doors to turn off the light.