Q: My car was melting the igniction coil i found that it was the DME, fixed. now it is giving me code p0340/p1318 and wont start.

asked by on February 28, 2018

The car started after installing the DME and then it does like it wants to start, but the engine don't start.

P1318 relates to spark plug voltage detection. This function might be integrated into the DME on a BMW. If not, there will be a module (VDM) and the code will typically refer to an open or shorted wiring harness. Diagnostic Trouble Code P0340 will set if camshaft position sensor circuit wiring is broken, shorted, or corroded; a camshaft position sensor circuit connector is broken, shorted, or corroded; there is a faulty camshaft position sensor; a failed crankshaft position sensor; or a faulty PCM (rare). You should also check to be sure that the timing belt is intact and the valve timing is correct, if not faults there will cause P0340 to set as well. The circumstance that you present is best diagnosed by a mechanic. If you desire that this problem be diagnosed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request a check engine light diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this diagnosed for you and estimate the repair cost based on the diagnostic. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you