Q: Transmission problem

My truck only had 1st and drive. And at the same time that starting happening my speedo stopped wrking accurately. So wr unplugged the vss and it drives fine through all the gears now just shifts a little hard. We cleaned the plug plugged it back in and it still runs in only 1st and drive only being able to go 45. Do you have any idea why it rins great through all the gears with the vss inplugged??

The VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) is most likely bad and needs to be replaced. The reason that the transmission shifts almost normally with it disconnected is due to the computer is using a failure memory to substitute for the shift patterns.

If you need assistance with this, consider YourMechanic, as a certified technician can diagnose your shifting issue firsthand and help you replace your vehicle speed sensor as necessary.

3. Transmission problem