My car starts making a loud ticking noise then shuts off when ever I'm stopped unless I continue to hold down the gas, white smoke

After a bit of driving my car starts making a ticking noise, then it will turn off unless I'm holding the gas pedal down, white smoke comes from the engine after it turns off. I also have to pump the gas pedal to turn it on , please help thank you

Hi there. One of the common symptoms of coolant that has found its way into parts of the engine it does not belong is white smoking coming from the exhaust pipe. This can be caused by a head gasket that has broken, a cracked engine block or damage to the coolant system itself. This can also create the type of driving problems you are describing as well. However, it is also possible that you simply have a damaged mass air flow sensor, O2 sensors or other fuel / air ratio components like an EGR valve that needs to be cleaned or replaced. Due to the multiple possibilities of what’s causing this issue, I would recommend having a professional mobile mechanic come to your location and complete an inspection to determine what is causing these issues, and whether it can be fixed easily or will require major repairs.