Q: Reduced Engine Power

On two sub-zero days, -20º & -15º, the warning wrench light came on, then showed Reduced Engine Power, then Service Stabilitrack. I pulled over as I was losing engine speed/power, shut the vehicle off both times, let it sit for about 5 minutes, then started it back up. No warning lights came back on and I was able to drive the vehicle again.

Thanks for your help:)

Hello, thank you for writing in. With the car seeming to have issues with the extreme cold weather, there may not be anything technically wrong with it. It is not uncommon for vehicles to struggle with this. You may want to start by taking some precautions to help keep the vehicle sheltered a bit more. This may include using a different oil (stay withing your manufacture specifications) to help it warm up quicker when cold. This also would include parking indoors or at least covered, make sure the antifreeze is full and in good condition, and reducing stress when starting. There are a variety of engine sensors that may also be tripping due to the cold weather. Once they restart and pass their start up tests (always run when the vehicle is stated), they then work perfectly. One other option would be to scan the vehicle when the check engine light illuminates to see what the computer thinks is wrong. For more diagnostic help, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.

3. Reduced Engine Power