Q: My car jerks while shifting gears. Will a transmission flush help with this problem?

My car only jerks while shifting into second gear. When I put the car in drive from reverse there is a slight delay. I just bought the car from a private owner and was wondering in a transmission flush would be helpful.

Hello - some would say not to flush the transmission at this mileage point, for fear of stirring up debris and clogging shift valves. On the other hand, changing the fluid and filter may improve gear engagement (slow as you note), and improve what’s left of friction surfaces of clutches. To be certain make sure the transmission fluid level is correct. If you need some assistance, I would recommend having your shifting issue diagnosed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, to diagnose this problem, get an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. My car jerks while shifting gears. Will a transmission flush help with this problem?