Q: ABS + Brake + Traction Control Yellow Warning light

I had the following warning lights come on in my Z4 and I took it to an independent dealer, who did the diagnosis, and said it's most likely the ABS Control Module. He quoted me approx. $1700 for parts and labor, including programming. Is this normal? Can I go with a used modeule?

A: It depends on the nature of the faults. If ...

It depends on the nature of the faults. If there is a internal processing error or solenoid valve block assembly fault. Then it is likely the module will need to replaced and then programmed. A used module could be used but the exact part number from the old part would have to be match and then it would still need to be programmed to the vehicle. However this is not generally a recommended repair and most shops will not install a used ABS module as it could pose a safety concern that the installing shop could be liable for.

You may want to get a second opinion from another mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, to diagnose the warning lights firsthand. You need to determine if the ABS module is the issue or there is another issue because, yes, the ABS module is a very pricey repair and one that should be done once all other possible issues are eliminated due to the cost of the ABS module replacement.