Q: Car dies while on but at a stop, won't start until the next day.

asked by on July 12, 2017

I have an 85 el Camino, engine is not the original engine. The engine is an 1985 crate engine, 4.3 fuel injection. Has a new starter and just very recently got a tune up (spark plugs, hoses basic wires checked). The problem started when I was driving I stopped at a stop sign, the car just died. It seemed as if it stalled out, but when tried to start it didn't start. Didn't rev nor even hear a clicking of the ignition turning. But everything electrical was still working, radio, lights etc. ended up leaving the car until about 3 days later. It started up just fine. Brought to a car shop and they tested the starter, battery and alternator, they were all good. A couple days later, I'm getting off of work and the car does the same thing at a yiel sign not even 5 minutes after running the vehicle. Went out the next day and it's running fine. Can't figure what the problem could be

It is possible that you could have a problem with your ignition switch. If the ignition switch has an electrical issue, this can cut out the ignition to the entire engine and cause it to die. This would also explain why the key does nothing when you try to start it back up. Perhaps the switch has an intermittent internal short. I would recommend having your ignition switch tested by a qualified professional to determine if it is faulty and have it replaced if necessary.