Q: A/C won't work, even after compressor replacement

The a/c has stopped working this week. Whew! It’s 98 degrees outside! Our mechanic used a diagnostic tool on it and reported that our vehicle needs a new compressor. He replaced the old one and still the a/c won’t work at all. What will fix this?

A: It will depend on the nature of the issue. ...

It will depend on the nature of the issue. If the compressor is not kicking on then the compressor control circuit needs to be looked at. If the compressor is turning on then the refrigerant circuit needs to be looked at. This will require manifold gauges to be installed and the system to be run to determine what the issue could be. Possibilities range from an improper charge level, to a failed component in the refrigerant system, to a faulty condenser fan. It will all depend if the compressor is switch on. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who has the certifications and equipment to diagnose the cause of the AC issue and then recommend or make the repair.