Q: Q: Rattle noise

have an 05 dakota with 4.7. I had a mechanic replace both cylinder heads at 106k miles due to cracked heads as it was losing coolant out the exhaust. They had the truck for 2 months due the issues which they eventually resolved. Well the very next day on a cold start up I noticed a rattling niose that lasted a few seconds. not a ticking noise. as if it was a timing chain dragging is the best i can describe it. I gave the truck back to them 2-3 more times which they had for extended periods trying to resove the issue. it got to the point where I just gave up with them. Truck is now just shy of 117k and still has this issue. first cold start of the day it will do it and then usually fine rest of day. there can be a period of a day or weeks where it wont do it at all. really lost with this. not sure if this is something they did wrong or? just looking for some direction. thank you.

Hi there. Either the engine’s timing tensioner is loose and not pressurizing up when the engine is started up or the camshaft variable timing solenoid is sticking when the engine oil is thick - cold.

I recommend putting in an engine cleaner in the oil and see if the noise goes away. If the noise goes away, then there was sludge in the timing adjuster or the timing solenoid. If the noise does not go away, then the parts have too much blockage and need either cleaned or replaced. If you need further assistance with your engine having a noise on startup, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. Q: Rattle noise