Q: Engine shut off while driving will not start

asked by on July 25, 2017

My engine shut off while driving at highway speed. It made no strange noises beforehand or gave any indication it was about to fail. When I tried to re-start it, the starter spins, but does not seem to be engaging the motor, as the motor is not turning over. the starter is not making any type of grinding noise. The lights and all interior electrics are working fine, oil level in engine is fine as well.

If the timing chain broke, there would be no (or little) compression and upon re-starting it might not seem as though the starter is engaging because the mechanical resistance to turning is so low. Of course it is also possible that you have a faulty starter and that fault has just simply arisen at the same time that you had the failure on the highway. To get the fault(s) pinpointed, the recommended service is a no start diagnostic. If you request that service, the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.