Q: My car is stalling even when i’m driving it

I have a 2008 Kia Optima that has been randomly stalling out while driving down the road. I am really worried about this for more than one reason. This car has 48,000 miles on it, does this mean something bad for the engine? Another thing I am concerned about is the possibility of dying if this happens on a busy road! What do I do?

A: When the vehicle stalls, does the Check Eng...

When the vehicle stalls, does the Check Engine light illuminate? If so, does it remain illuminated when the vehicle is restarted? If it does, a mechanic should be able to diagnose the problem with a scan tool. Stalling can often be related to fuel delivery issues from the tank to the engine. Has the fuel filter ever been replaced? If not, I would recommend having a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come out to replace the fuel filter and perform a fuel pressure test at your home or office. If the fuel pressure is below specifications, it could mean a faulty fuel pump.

In the event your vehicle happens to stall while on the road, remain calm and perform the following maneuvers and get yourself out of danger: turn on the hazard lights, place the transmission in neutral and safely coast to a stop in a safe area or onto the emergency shoulder and off the road. Once stopped, place the transmission in park.