Q: My car is stalling even when i’m driving it

I have a 2008 Kia Optima that has been randomly stalling out while driving down the road. I am really worried about this for more than one reason. This car has 48,000 miles on it, does this mean something bad for the engine? Another thing I am concerned about is the possibility of dying if this happens on a busy road! What do I do?

When the vehicle stalls, does the Check Engine light illuminate? If so, does it remain illuminated when the vehicle is restarted? If it does, a mechanic should be able to diagnose the problem with a scan tool. Stalling can often be related to fuel delivery issues from the tank to the engine. Has the fuel filter ever been replaced? If not, I would recommend having a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come out to replace the fuel filter and perform a fuel pressure test at your home or office. If the fuel pressure is below specifications, it could mean a faulty fuel pump.

In the event your vehicle happens to stall while on the road, remain calm and perform the following maneuvers and get yourself out of danger: turn on the hazard lights, place the transmission in neutral and safely coast to a stop in a safe area or onto the emergency shoulder and off the road. Once stopped, place the transmission in park.

3. My car is stalling even when i’m driving it