My car died and I tried giving it a jump. The lights come...

Q: My car died and I tried giving it a jump. The lights come on but wont start just clicks. Then when I take the cables off the car

asked by on October 18, 2017

My car battery died and I tried giving it a jump. The lights came on but wont start only clicks. Then when I take the cables off the lights or radio won't cone on. Is this the battery or alternator?

The alternator is not used in starting. However, a faulty alternator will not keep the battery properly charged. The starter may click if the jump start connection at the battery is poor or the starter may click if the starter itself is faulty. To find out exactly why the car won’t start, obtain a test of the battery and the alternator (once the car is running), the recommended service is a no start diagnostic. If you request that service, the responding certified mechanic will get the problem diagnosed and repaired for you promptly. Please let us know if you have further concerns or questions as we are always here to help you.